Experienced Attorneys Helping You Plan What Is Next

Smith & Messina, LLP

Compassionate, Experienced Legal Advocacy

  1. Home
  2.  → 
  3. Divorce
  4.  → Support Modification And Enforcement

Changing A Court Order After A Divorce

A divorce decree is a final court order that outlines all areas of your specific situation. Everything from your division of assets, child support, custody arrangements and maintenance can be addressed on your final divorce decree. While these orders are permanent and cannot be completely eliminated, you can make modifications to these orders by working with our firm, Smith and Messina, LLP.

How To Modify A Divorce Decree

Commonly, a modification needs to be made to a divorce decree because of an unexpected life change. Where you were when the divorce was finalized may not be where you are now because your financial, social, and medical circumstances may have changed. Many people also relocate after a divorce due to remarriage or job changes. Child custody arrangements, support, and alimony orders can all be created on a temporary or permanent basis.

In order to obtain a modification, you must file a request with the court. We can help you understand the changes that are being requested and file the necessary paperwork to ensure that your modification is accepted in a timely manner.

Enforcing Court Orders In New York

Are you seeking to enforce a court order? Because these orders are final and binding by the court, failing to comply with them can cause significant legal complications. If a spouse is noncompliant, a family lawyer can assist you in enforcing these court orders. Depending on the circumstance, each case may vary, but it is always important that you are aware that you can face severe consequences if you do not follow the guidelines listed in your court order.

If a protective order is being violated, you need to immediately contact law enforcement to ensure the safety of you and your family. If a civil order is being violated, you need to gather all necessary evidence pertaining to your case and contact a divorce attorney as soon as possible. Working with our firm may be your best option to ensure that your court orders are enforced.

Contact A Divorce Attorney As Soon As Possible!

Are you ready to move forward with your case? Now is the time to contact Smith and Messina, LLP. Over the years, we have been able to provide clients with the representation that they deserve and have assisted them in obtaining favorable outcomes for their cases. With the assistance of our divorce lawyers, you can rest assured that your case is in good hands.

Modifying and enforcing court orders can be stressful, and we will do everything in our power to keep you informed and up to date with all legal happenings in your case to minimize your worries. Do not hesitate to contact Smith and Messina, LLP, today by calling 716-648-1400 or completing a free case evaluation form for a telephone consultation.